Thursday, September 6, 2012

College Gate - Quota


A good MBA course is one that is designed to read the situation in different perspective at a time. It makes you very dynamic in thinking. I have learnt “change is the only constant in this changing world” practically. We were still under the shock of our friends demise, but need to get back to action for management fest. The turn around time is less than 24hours. Next day, entire college was in full swing for the preparation for fest.

I do not remember the name of the fest. As I have mentioned earlier, this fest also had events in Marketing, Human Resource, Finance and Management focused events. I was part of organizing committee for finance events and quiz. So could not participate in those segments. For Marketing there were too many participants. As was busy, arranging finance and quiz event, could not participate in marketing. Only option left was Human Resource event. The least interesting subject for me but took part in this event. First round we need to introduce our self and speak for 3-4 minutes. Yardstick was to be interesting and attitude defining. When my turn came I introduced myself. Next two rounds were some situation-based assessment. I got the second prize in this event. Everyone praised my introduction. This prize-winning introduction is there on ‘about me section’ on the blog. The first two places have been assured that they will represent Regional Management fest of INC.

The day arrived for Regional Management fest and was present at Banasawadi Center where the event was happening. HR event organizers called all the participants. I was about to go, but one of my senior Vijay Raghav came registered his name as the second participant. I asked him ‘what is this? I am the second contestant as I came second in human resource event.’ But this guy showed his ugly side. He told me ‘am in final year, I wont be able to participate again. You have one more year. Also I have taken permission from Mrs. GR (Principal).’ Quota system..!!! I don’t want to make commotion there left. I did ask Mrs. Jyothi who was the faculty in charge. She was also helpless. This is micro one. When you see it in macro i.e. in context to Indian system this much bigger problem. The quota system should be evaded. Deserving candidate should be given the opportunity. Then India can compete with world in any field.

I felt bad, but did not waste my time there by cribbing. Went to Shopper Stop. Not to come out of my sadness. We need to complete assignment for marketing subject. My team got all the relevant information and presented in front of the class. This was extra assignment specifically given by Mrs. Baisaki to the team making me as the Leader. This presentation would benefit the class. She, specifically, chose me as leader. This made me think “do I have a caliber to teach?”. We did give a good presentation and other faculties present said ‘good job’. I lost my deserving place in fest, but I did get knowledge and confidence by giving good presentation. Life is a balance sheet. It has got credit and debit column.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Suraj, you have remembered lot many things of your MBA life. Thanks, even I could recall some of those...when I used join you guys occasionally..Great Days! :)

    ReplyDelete